Sunday, November 22, 2009

Conflict resolution

Recently in class we took a survey to determine our conflict resolution type. I thought the survey was pretty close to how I actually handle conflict. It told me that in both immediate and long term I was primarily "collaborative", but usually do not avoid the situation. This is completely true. I tend to try and talk out any problems or conflicts I am having with someone. I think that unless everyone has given their opinion and thoughts into the particular situation there really is no way to resolve the situation. Once everyone involved is aware of where others stand then everyone can hopefully talk it out to come to an agreement. Maybe one person (including yourself) may have seen the situation in a different light and that affected their response. Maybe not everyone had all the information to make a correct decision and so on. I have tried to teach this to my children as well. With 4 kids ranging in age from 2 to 12, we have constant conflict in our house over some pretty interesting things. I encourage my kids to explain how they see the situation and how they feel and try to get the others perspective. Then they need to try and talk it out amongst themselves before involved my husband or I as long as it's not a dangerous situation. I have been surprised how well they have done with this. So much easier than us trying to mediate for every he took this, she did that.

The survey also showed that I don't avoid a conflict either. I cannot feel peaceful if I know that I have an unresolved conflict going on somewhere or with someone. I will work hard to resolve whatever needs to be resolved so that everything can be "smooth sailing" once again. Therefore avoiding the conflict just wouldn't work real well for me. This isn't necessarily a good thing because I think there are things that are better left alone, but I just can't do it because it drives me crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment